Last summer, I embarked on a solo trip to my home country of Ukraine, followed by an adventure through Budapest and Vienna with my cousin. (More on those trips later!) I spent a total of 16 action-packed but relaxing, touristy but familiar, adventurous but mellow, and incredibly fun days away. Between exploring the beautiful streets of these old European cities, spending time with loved ones, and checking out the trendiest cafes, I found myself blissfully at peace. The trip was a breath of fresh air that I so desperately needed after spending my first year as a working adult.
There were countless moments I could label as my favorites from the trip, but nothing compares to the mere feeling of being “on vacation.” Not once did I fret about the everyday worries that haunt my programmed existence at a 9-5 corporate job. So often we find ourselves trapped in the lifeless, scheduled routine of everyday life, yet many of us STILL don’t take that slowly accrued time off from work. Here’s why you should always take the vacation:
- Escape the Routine – The feeling of complete serenity that comes with escaping “real life” is the most compelling reason to travel. How often do we feel truly at peace with ourselves during our day to day life? The hustle and bustle of our 9-5 job, bills, social commitments, and other adult responsibilities don’t exactly bring us tranquility. If we truly want our mind and body to relax, we must allow ourselves to leave the routine behind and go somewhere new.
- Clear Your Mind – Taking a vacation allows us to enter a completely different state of mind than we are in every day. The worries of finishing that big project, or thinking about what your boss said in that meeting are replaced with questions like “what do I do/see first, where do I eat, and what do I post on Instagram?” And on vacation, those are the only questions that matter.
- Discover What’s Out There – Taking a vacation that allows you to travel to a new destination will always be worthwhile. The benefits of discovering a new place and exploring unfamiliar territory are truly endless. You suddenly understand how much more there is to the world and what a tiny place you and your everyday problems actually occupy in the grand scheme of things.
- Live Fully – Traveling forces you to get out of your comfort zone and do things you might not normally do. This could be something like enjoying an aperol spritz in Europe on a Tuesday night, whereas you would not even consider leaving your house back home because you have to prepare for that early morning meeting the next day. In this way, taking a vacation allows you to live fully, without limiting yourself. The world is your oyster and you have the freedom to enjoy that to its fullest extent.
- Become Better than Before – Finally, taking the vacation is not only good for you, but also beneficial to the people around you. If you feel like taking a vacation is selfish or you worry how your boss or coworkers will survive without you, remember that the benefits you reap from your vacation will benefit them in the long run as well. You will return to the office rejuvenated and ready to jump back into work with more zest than ever before. You will be better than before – because that’s what travelling does to you.
I hope this inspired you to plan your next trip – I know that’s what I’ll be doing!
A working professional and a lifelong dreamer, Bohdana strives to merge her passions with her everyday reality. She is a proud Ukrainian and a loyal Chicagoan (despite the winters). She loves traveling, reading, pursuing self-improvement, and sharing her stories. Allow this blog to bring you motivation and inspiration on your own journey to rise beyond.